Pregnancy of egg donor. IVF success rate
- Who can be an egg donor? Description of the whole process of egg donation.
- What does the effectiveness of IVF attempts with donor eggs depend on?
The Russian Ministry of Health Decree 107 H in Russia established the following grounds for the use of donor female eggs in IVF programs:
- 1. The absence of oocytes, caused by natural menopause, premature ovarian failure syndrome, syndrome of resistant ovary condition after ovariectomy, radio- or chemotherapy, genetic diseases;
- 2. Unsuccessful repeated attempts at IVF (ICSI) (3 or more) ,low ovarian response to stimulation of superovulation, repeatedly getting poor quality embryos, the transfer of which did not result in pregnancy, decreased ovarian reserve
A woman's body ages slower than the female eggs , so when using mature eggs the chances of pregnancy in women over the age of forty years, remain pretty high. Understandably there is a psychological barrier which comes when one has to make the difficult decision to have a child not from one’s own genetic material, but using a donor egg to get pregnant.That is why it is so important to entrust the selection of donors to professionals who will help you to choose the donor focusing not only on the common external parameters of eye color, hair, blood group and Rh affiliation, but also learn the complete history of the donor and his genetic passport, which will allow you to be sure that you know the genetic characteristics of the donor. All people are the bearers of a certain genotype, which can conceal the carriage of certain diseases. When a couple chooses a donor, the knowledge of these circumstances and the availability of a donor genetic passport will allow them to take into account and protect the child a 100% from serious hereditary diseases. The idea is very simple, if the chosen donor is a carrier of a recessive autosomal disease, the spouse or the partner of the recipient should be examined for it. Designed by the specialists of NGC clinic together with PARSEQ LAB panel on the carriage of two dozen diseases, most common in our population has become the basis for creating a donor Cryobank and a large donor base, tested for carriage of monogenic diseases and predisposition to certain diseases. If you are using donor eggs for IVF, remember that the donor primarily is a carrier of genetic information.
Examination of the donor
To enter the program, the donor sends a request to the manager of the clinic, who evaluates the suitability and conformity to the requirements of the Ministry of Health, which are
- 1. Age of the Donors from 20 to 35 years old
- 2. A requirement established by the experts at NGC clinic is the presence of healthy children of egg donors to once again verify the donor’s fertility
- 3. Proportionate Body, lack of distinct phenotypic characteristics
- 4. Donor is invited for an inspection at the clinic, fills out a form and passes an inspection gynecologist-reproductologist
- 5. After approval of the reproductologist the donor passes a complex examination by the orders of the Ministry of Health 107 N, inspection by a therapist
- 6. The donor is tested for carriage of monogenic diseases
Preparation of the donor for the program. There are several variations of IVF programs with donor eggs.
Donation of vitrified eggs from Cryobank of the clinic.
In this case, the donor passes superovulation stimulation process when the doctor assigns reproductive hormones, causing the growth of a number of follicles in the ovaries of the donor. The doctor makes a few ultrasound monitorings during the stimulation and then makes a puncture as a result of which he takes the egg (harvesting) from the ovaries. The Clinic’s Embryologists carefully examine all the received eggs and vitrify the mature ones, i.e frozen for future use in IVF with donor eggs. Such programs are most convenient because a large number of donor cells are always ready in the Cryobank and there is no need to synchronize the cycles of the donor and the recipient or rely on personal circumstances of the donor. High level of gametes survival after defrosting guarantees a high percentage of patients fertilization of these cells and provides high efficiency of pregnancy in such programs, which is comparable to the percentage of pregnancy when using freshly stimulated donors.
Fresh egg donation of the donor is also often used that is where the patient chooses to use the egg donor in the database of the clinic and the physician reproducologist synchronizes the cycles of the donor and the recipient for the purpose of transfering the fresh embryos in the uterine cavity of the donor egg recipient. The remaining embryos are frozen after the transfer. Such programs require the individual preparation of the donor for the program and her longer-term preparation. The patient can choose the donor clinic on the website from the database, and the clinic’s manager negotiates with donors the possibility of their participation in the program for this or that moment in time.
IVF programs with fresh donor eggs and embryos by preimplantation diagnosis by NGS method
In this case, the patient chooses a donor from the donor database of the clinic, the doctor stimulates this donor and fertilizes the fresh eggs with sperm of the spouse or partner of the recipient. Embryologists cultivate the embryos obtained to the state of blastocysts (embryos of the 5th day), perform the procedure biopsy of trophectoderm of the embryos and all the resulting embryos are frozen. These biopsy samples go to the clinic’s genetics center to diagnose the chromosome set of the embryo. In our clinic the entire genome of the embryo screening is done on a latest generation sequencer, the purpose of which is to find a genetically healthy embryos. Usually, the percentage of aneuploidy in donor programs does not exceed 20-30%, but the transfer of only the healthy embryos provides most of these programs a higher percentage of success compared to the other. In such programs the effectiveness of the very first attempt of embryo transfer is 65-74%.
Creation of a bank of oocytes of the clinic as a result of stimulation of the donor for the bank and vitrification of mature eggs. Each month, the clinic runs a large amount of stimulations of egg donors who have passed the preliminary examination and have a positive experience at the clinic in terms of cryoresistance of the donor eggs and resulting pregnancy from their eggs. Thus, in the process we have collected in the clinic’s bank eggs of donors with genetic passports with good results, providing high efficiency of IVF with donor eggs.
The average productivity of IVF donor programs in the world statistics fluctuates from 40 to 75% and depends on the following factors
- 1.Quality of the embryos .Usually in donor programs is high, as the donors of eggs are young, healthy women. According to the statistics the number of aneploidy embryos from women older than 35 years is growing rapidly, but at the age of 25 to 30 years is minimal.This means that the best age for the donation of eggs when the received donor eggs yield genetically healthy embryos-is 25-30 years.
- 2.Faktor of endometrium also affects the result of IVF, therefore in cases of suspected tumors in the uterus the doctor may recommend a hysteroscopy procedure, as a result of which can be diagnosed with endometrial polyps, endometrial hyperplasia, adhesions and other entities that can impede conception.
- 3.Preimplantation diagnosis of embryos by the NGS method allows the increase of the effectiveness of IVF in the basic IVF cycles and raise the effectiveness of the programs with donor eggs as well. In this case, we transfer one embryo thus eliminating the risk of having twins, reducing or eliminating the termination of pregnancy up to 9 weeks. The NGS method used in programs with preimplantation diagnosis in our clinic, has innovative features and advantages over previous-generation techniques, such as:
- More reliable research
- Simultaneous diagnosis of chromosomal and monogenic diseases
- It is safe for the embryo because of biopsy of the outer shell of the embryo-trophectoderm
- High automation process eliminates additional errors from the moment of reception of the material from the embryo
- Allows the screening of the egg donor for the carriage of monogenic diseases and exclude predisposition to serious hereditary diseases, such as breast cancer and ovarian cancer
For foreign patients the clinic provides remote consultation and assignment of the plan of preparation and treatment in the clinic for the purpose of minimising the stay in St. Peterburg.We have a program which is called a program of one-day visit to the clinic, which involves preparing and taking eggs from the donor, fertilized with sperm from the husband or partner with the arrival of the patient only for the embryo transfer.
Born healthy baby by using donor eggs from Next Generation Clinic!