IVF with a sperm donor for single women
- When I should use donor sperm?
- Donor requirements, in the clinic
- Description of the sperm storage in the Cryobank and its processing
- Description of the IVF program with donated sperm
- Selection of the sperm donor
Today in Russia about 30% of women that are of a reproductive age are single. Most single women haven’t met their life partner yet, or are already divorced, but want to have their own child. Sometimes it is the successful and wealthy ladies who are single and cannot find a spouse, but they still want to have children. Also, there has been an increase in the modern world of a number of single strong women who want to give birth and raise a child on their own, without waiting years for a suitable candidate. The donors can be, either close friends of the single woman or from a sperm bank.
According to the Federal Law "On the basis of public health protection in the Russian Federation, Article 55, a single woman has the right for the use of assisted reproductive technology if an informed consent to medical intervention has been signed. Children from a test tube are non-different from the ordinary children. On the contrary they have better developed intelligence and physical data, due to the fact that during the IVF procedure the embryos that have been chosen and transplanted to the uterus are the best and as a result the healthiest child is born. IVF programs for single women are allowed in Russia officially, and can be done even under government programs. For that, a sperm will be needed. The cheapest option, but with the least effective results - is IUI (intrauterine insemination) by sperm. For healthy single women with tubal patency, this method is the most economical and is not associated with high hormonal overload on the body. If the first attempt fails, the cumulative effect of several following attempts can still be cheaper than an IVF program. Pregnancy after AI (artificial insemination) occurs in about 20% of cases. In the case of certain indications to do IVF, single women are recommended to use the IVF program with an anonymous donor. NGC clinic’s Bank allows us to pick donor for every patient that is single and satisfy their phenotypic characteristics and personal preferences. Included in the program are healthy men aged 18 to 35 years, with excellent physical and mental health. Current offers of donor sperm are posted on the clinic’s site.
This type of procedure is a process in the framework of the in vitro fertilization program in which a woman’s own egg cell is fertilized but the sperm used is not her husband's but of a donor. This type of medical intervention is usually used as a last resort, only if it was established that the man is infertile and his sperm seed cannot be used.
Donor sperm is used as directed by a physician-reproductologist in cases of severe male infertility factor during procedures in assisted reproductive medicine IVF / ICSI or artificial insemination. In vitro fertilization with donor sperm is generally used in the following situations:
- Azoospermia. This disease is classified into two types:
- Obstructive during which a mature sperm in the seminiferous tubules, but does not fall into the section of the ejaculatory tract. The reasons may be surgery, inflammatory operation, the consequences of testicular injury. In such a case of infertility, men have a chance to have their own children, but it requires direct sampling from the testicles through the MESA/TESA procedures, as well as the use of IVF using ICSI, but without donor sperm.
- Non Obstructive, in which the process of maturation of the sperm was disrupted , but the sperm ducts at the same time are in order - and in theory sperm could pass through them. This disease can be caused by genetic abnormalities, previous diseases, such as mumps or cryptorchidism. In this case, one can resort to IVF with donor sperm.
In general cases, donors are used in IVF if there is a full or a partial absence of sperm in the ejaculate, as well as a small amount of ejaculate which is insufficient for research. Sexual disorders and a rare sex life can have a negative impact on the quality of the biological material and thus on the likelihood of pregnancy. Also, a sperm donor can be used during a cycle of IVF in cases of serious violations of spermatogenesis, or a risk of transmitting hereditary diseases from the male side. In this case preimplantation diagnosis, can also be used.
Single women without men also frequently resort to the use of this method. It is noteworthy that many women use the program of ‘social Freezing ", to freeze their eggs while they are young and later in life, when their fertility declines they thaw and fertilize them by the biomaterial of a donor.
In some cases, the donor’s material can be used for artificial insemination - performance percentage of the procedure ranges from 2 to 40% in some cases. The average performance is about 15%. The essence of the procedure is administering of the sperm by a catheter into the cavity of the uterus of a woman - the process is no different from the natural conditions. It is worth noting that only cryopreserved sperm, that has already passed the six-month period of quarantine is used and in which the risk of infectious diseases has been eliminated. Another important feature of this procedure is that it can be used only if the woman’s Fallopian tubes are working and if the transferred sperm can fertilize the egg without IVF.
Next Generation Clinic is extremely careful while choosing suitable sperm donors and apart from the Order 107H (which regulates the activities in assisted reproductive medicine), uses its internal set of developments to test the candidates. Below we will briefly enumerate some research and procedures we perform to our potential sperm donors for IVF:
- Sperm examination - spermogram morphology. qualitative and quantitative indicators of the sperm are defined-their motility and quantity.
- Culturing of the bacteria
- Culturing of the sperm for gonorrhea, chlamydia, ureaplasma and mycoplasma
- Determination of the blood group and the Rh factor
- Inspection and conclusion of a therapist
- Visiting a psychotherapist - testing of the aptitudes and personal qualities, as well as to understand why the patient decided to become a donor and whether he understands what's going on
- Visit a psychiatrist
- Check up by a urologist, andrologist
- Medical and genetic counseling
- Analysis on karyotype cytogenetics
- Clinical and general blood tests
- Blood chemistry
- Analysis on AIDS, HIV, syphilis, hepatitis B and C
- Research on cystic fibrosis
One of the most important requirements that we make to the donor is that they cannot be older than 35 years, have to have a high level of education and phenotypic traits.
After the man, has given the initial test dose and going through all the doctors and tests, he repeatedly comes to the clinic and delivers a portion or portions which are frozen for a quarantine period (six months) to eliminate all the infectious diseases. Six months later, the sperm can be thawed and once it’s tested for HIV, syphilis, hepatitis B and C, only then it can be used for artificial insemination or IVF.
Before the freezing procedure as was described in the previous sections, the material must undergo a series of research that will ensure both its safety and the fertility of the patient. After that, the sperm must be processed carefully - it has to stand for a certain period of time after delivery, centrifuge, get concentrated and get rid of the abnormal sperm.
Men’s sperm is kept in a specially designated place in the clinic - the Cryobank, which is in the embryology laboratory. Temperature range is -196 degrees, allowing the sperm to be stored for years and then be thawed in a laboratory and not lose its qualities.
The procedure for IVF with a donor is the same as conventional IVF. To start the patient is determines the donor - and chooses him. What follows is one of the stimulation protocols of hormonal medication therapy selected by the attending physician during which the follicles mature. After that goes the puncture and the egg is taken. Then the egg is fertilized by the sperm in the embryology laboratory, in some cases, doctors can use the ICSI procedure. The final stage is when the embryo is transferred into the uterus.
The clinic is very sensitive to the selection of potential candidates, as described above, and includes an online catalog of only the best representatives. For patients, there is a selection of the following options:
- The weight
- eyes color
- Hair color
- Face oval
Also, you can find out about the donors from the clinic’s specialists, who work with the donors. You can check the availability or more information on the donors and get advice on choosing one. The goal of our clinic is to do everything possible for you to have healthy babies! We offer all our patients an individual approach, combined with modern equipment and many years of medical practice!
All existing bank samples were tested for cryotolerance and have passed the necessary incubation period, that protects the patient from infection by dangerous diseases. Only after the donors have passed repeated tests for viruses the sperm is allowed to be used. In addition, the sperm donor passes a multistage selection system:
- Interview with the Cryobank manager who assesses the external data and the mental performance
- Inspections by doctors - therapist, urologist and psychiatrist
- Genetic research - research on karyotyping and medico-genetic examination
- A blood test for HIV, syphilis, hepatitis B and C
- Infectious Screening: chlamydia, gonorrhea, cytomegalovirus
- Diagnosis of the health status and all body systems
A man should not have sexual intercourse 3-5 days before the delivery. Sperm is delivered through masturbation in a separate room, where the man can feel at peace. Only three per cent of those that come into our database, end up in our bank. A single woman patient who is at a stage of preparation for the IVF or insemination can choose a donor by the following attributes- hair color, eyes, blood group and Rh factor, height and weight characteristics, nationality. Information on social status, profession and occupation may be given about some of the donors. The specialty of our demands to the donor is that he must have his own healthy children. To clarify all issues related to IVF or insemination for single women, please call our clinic by this number +7(812)7755555. Doctors reproductologysts and managers will help you to find suitable sperm and choose the correct solution to address this issue.
Obstetrician, Fertility specialist